athavaneng.com
athavaneng.com
chrome

North Korea crisis so far no threat to Pyeongchang 2018 – IOC

In
Updated: 03:45 GMT, Sep 14, 2017 | Published: 08:40 GMT, Sep 12, 2017 |
0 Comments
1074

The escalating North Korean crisis had so far raised “no hint” of a security threat for next year’s Pyeongchang 2018 winter Olympics in South Korea, the International Olympic Committee said on Monday (September 11).

Hours after the United Nations Security Council unanimously stepped up sanctions against North Korea over the country’s sixth and most powerful nuclear test conducted on Sept. 3, IOC President Thomas Bach said the Games next year were under no threat so far.

Earlier this month North Korea launched its biggest nuclear bomb test, prompting global condemnation as U.S. President Donald Trump said “appeasement” would not work.

North Korea has warned the United States that it would pay a “due price” for spearheading efforts on U.N. sanctions, which now include a ban on the country’s textile exports and capping imports of crude oil.

Bach told reporters in Lima, Peru, that he was hoping for a diplomatic solution before the Games start next February and said the door was open for the participation of North Korean athletes and the IOC was ready to support them in their effort to qualify.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said in July the North will be given until the last minute to decide whether it will take part in the Olympics. None of its athletes have yet met the qualification standards.

The Pyeongchang Games, the first Winter Olympics in Asia to be staged outside Japan, will run from Feb 9-25.

Your Comment

அன்புள்ள வாசகர்களே, நீங்கள் தெரிவிக்கும் கருத்துகளுக்கு நிர்வாகம் எவ்விதத்திலும் பொறுப்பாகாது. கருத்துக்கள் தகுந்த தணிக்கைக்குப் பிறகே பதிவேற்றம் செய்யப்படுகின்றன. எனவே நாகரீகமான கருத்துக்களை மட்டுமே பதிவு செய்யுமாறு வாசகர்கள் கேட்டுக்கொள்ளபடுகின்றனர். முக்கியமான புலங்கள் குறிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளன *

*

  

  

Type Comments in Tamil language (Press Ctrl+g to toggle between English and Tamil)