China says U.S. trade move contrary to bilateral consensus
China‘s Ministry of Commerce (MOC) said Tuesday that the U.S. statement is contrary to the consensuses the two sides have previously reached in Washington.
The ministry said the White House tactical statement is both unexpected and within expectation.
The ministry’s remarks came soon after a U.S. White House statement on Tuesday renewed the US threat to place 25 percent tariffs on 50 billion US dollars’ worth of Chinese goods.
“Whatever measures the United States takes, China has the confidence, capability and experience to defend the interests of the Chinese people and the core interests of the country,” the MOC said on its website.
China urged the United States to act in accordance with the spirit of recent bilateral joint statement, the MOC said.
In a joint statement during their trade talks, the two sides pledged no trade war. China will significantly increase purchases of US goods and services. They also attached great importance to protecting intellectual property rights. Both sides will also encourage two-way investment, and create a business environment for fair competition.