athavaneng.com
athavaneng.com
chrome

Government Takes New Step on Allegation: Harsha de Silva to HR Commission

In
Updated: 06:49 GMT, Nov 19, 2017 | Published: 06:32 GMT, Nov 16, 2017 |
0 Comments
1092
Harsha De Silva

Government envoys from Sri Lanka told the U.N.’s top human rights body Wednesday that their country is taking new steps to battle torture, a move that an advocacy group attributed to an Associated Press report documenting allegations from men who said they were brutalized, raped and branded.

The Human Rights Council held a long-planned review of Sri Lanka’s record a week after the AP investigation relayed the accounts of more than 50 men who said they were tortured under the current government, some as recently as July.

The government envoys took some at the council meeting in Geneva by surprise by announcing that Sri Lanka’s Cabinet had a day earlier agreed to accede to the Optional Protocol on the Convention against Torture. The 15-year-old accord allows for greater international scrutiny of countries’ detention facilities.

Harsha de Silva, a deputy minister for national policies and economic affairs, acknowledged that the government’s commitment to human rights has been questioned.

“No nation is perfect,” de Silva told the rights council. “It’s natural to feel a sense of frustration.”

Speaking later to the AP, he said Sri Lanka has “zero tolerance” for torture.

“It is an abhorrent practice, and we are completely and absolutely against that,” de Silva said. “That is why the Cabinet, you know, gave its decision to accede to … the optional protocol.”

Critics scoffed that the treaty pledge was another empty promise on human rights from a country still recovering from a devastating 26-year civil war that ended in 2009. Men interviewed for the AP’s investigation, all members of Sri Lanka’s Tamil ethnic minority, said they were accused of trying to revive a rebel group on the losing side of the civil war.

Government critics also insisted that Sri Lankan officials were attempting to head off criticism at the Human Rights Council in the wake of the AP report.

Manivannan Pathmanabhan, a human rights minister with a non-governmental group called the Transitional Government of Tamil Eelam, said the envoys’ announcement was a desperate attempt to “hoodwink” the council.

He said the AP report was the reason the government “decided to go and sign this protocol immediately.”

Most of the men in the AP’s investigation said their captors identified themselves as members of the Criminal Investigations Department, a police unit that investigates serious crimes. Some said their interrogators appeared to be soldiers.

The optional protocol, if properly applied, can increase international scrutiny on a country that adheres to it, such as through visits to jails and prisons.

Sri Lankan Foreign Affairs Ministry secretary Prasad Kariyawasam called on the accusers in the AP report to come forward to Sri Lankan authorities.

The Tamil Tiger rebels, as they were known, were designated a terrorist organization after a wave of suicide bombings, and were also accused of using child soldiers and killing Tamil political rivals.

Last month, the United Nations special rapporteur for transitional justice said Sri Lanka was nowhere close to where it should be in dealing with allegations of war crimes and other rights violations from the war.

John Fisher, Geneva director for Human Rights Watch, said Wednesday’s review of Sri Lanka’s record “highlights the increasing gap between the government’s commitments on rights and its lack of action.”

Your Comment

அன்புள்ள வாசகர்களே, நீங்கள் தெரிவிக்கும் கருத்துகளுக்கு நிர்வாகம் எவ்விதத்திலும் பொறுப்பாகாது. கருத்துக்கள் தகுந்த தணிக்கைக்குப் பிறகே பதிவேற்றம் செய்யப்படுகின்றன. எனவே நாகரீகமான கருத்துக்களை மட்டுமே பதிவு செய்யுமாறு வாசகர்கள் கேட்டுக்கொள்ளபடுகின்றனர். முக்கியமான புலங்கள் குறிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளன *

*

  

  

Type Comments in Tamil language (Press Ctrl+g to toggle between English and Tamil)