athavaneng.com
athavaneng.com
chrome

Ebola epidemic in Congo; World Health Organisation confirms three dead

In
Updated: 10:21 GMT, May 13, 2017 | Published: 07:33 GMT, May 13, 2017 |
0 Comments
1050
_93103273_gettyimages-484772696

Democratic Republic of Congo’s minister of health said on Friday (May 12) two people had died of a hemorrhagic fever that had tested positive for the Ebola virus in the northern Bas-Uele province, out of nine confirmed cases.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) confirmed later that a third person had died and added the deaths signaled the start of a new outbreak which happened in a very remote and forested area.

DCR Minister of Health Oly Ilunga said at the news conference in Kinshasa the cases had been confirmed from tests on nine people who came down with a hemorrhagic fever in Bas-Uele province in the northeast of the country on or after April 22, .

Ilunga said electoral commission workers were in the area for the enrollment process and added he saw no reason to stop the enrollment because they were taking precautions, but head of the Congo’s Electoral Commission Corneille Nanga expressed concerns.

This latest Ebola the out outbreak is Congo’s eighth, the most of any country. The deadly hemorrhagic fever was first detected in its dense tropical forests in 1976 and named after the nearby river Ebola.