athavaneng.com
athavaneng.com
chrome

Ceasefire due to begin across Yemen at midnight

In
Updated: 11:21 GMT, Apr 11, 2016 | Published: 07:16 GMT, Apr 11, 2016 |
0 Comments
1407

Yemenis were divided over the prospects of a nationwide ceasefire due to begin at midnight (2100GMT) on Sunday (April 10), with residents in the country’s capital waivering between cautious optimism and outright scepticism.

Yemen has been in a civil war for more than a year between supporters of the country’s Saudi-backed President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and the Iran-allied Houthi forces in a conflict that has cost more than 6,200 lives.

The warring parties agreed to the U.N.-backed cessation of hostilities last month.

There have already been several failed attempts to defuse the conflict in Yemen, which has triggered a humanitarian crisis in the Arab world’s poorest country.

“The ceasefire will depend on the intentions of the parties that have agreed to the ceasefire, on whether they have love for the country and whether their intentions are good and are in the interest of the people and in view of their suffering now and over the last year. Hopefully they have good intentions and interests of the people in mind,” said Sanaa resident, Marwan al Dumaini.

Another Sanaa resident said both the truce and upcoming peace talks are a sham.

“The truth is I’m not optimistic and these are all political manoeuvrings so they can achieve their own goals which are undefined,” said Salah Haidara.

U.N.-sponsored peace talks are scheduled to begin in Kuwait on April 18.