Argentina declares state of emergency
Families continued to abandon their homes on Monday (December 28) in the southern cone of South America, which is seeing its worst flooding in decades and has already forced more than 100,000 people to evacuate.
In northern Argentina, some 20,000 people have had to evacuate in what local authorities have called the worst flooding in 50 years.
Aerial views showed large swamped areas in the Argentine city of Concordia, in the Entre Rios province.
This year’s “El Nino,” which sparks global climate extremes, is the worst in more than 15 years, the U.N. weather agency, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), said last month.
The government has said aid is its way. In a news conference held at La Casa Rosada Presidential Palace on Monday, the Vice President, the Cabinet Chief, the Security Minister and Interior Ministry announced they had also launched the Federal Emergency System, according to a news released published on the website of the country’s Security Ministry.
The system helps to coordinate national and regional organizations involved in emergency measures.
Security Minister, Patricia Bullrich, assured those affected the government was there to support them.