Gay Village attack victim reluctant to return to city center

Updated: 00:00 GMT, Jan 1, 1970 | Published: 09:52 GMT, Jun 3, 2015 |

A man beaten unconscious in a vicious attack is afraid to return to a city centre’s Gay Village, and is certain the incident was driven by homophobia. Adam Senior suffered injuries to his head and face after being struck during an unprovoked attack in Manchester on Saturday night. The 21-year-old travel agent was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary by ambulance where doctors x-rayed his face and kept him in overnight to be monitored. Adam, from Stockport, says he is certain the attack was driven by homophobia and he is now reluctant to return to the Gay Village, reports Manchester Evening News.

 He said: “I was just walking home from meeting some friends to get a taxi and these four Irish lads came out of nowhere and attacked me for no reason “They were shouting things but I can’t remember what. “I didn’t wake up until the paramedics came. I was in hospital all night having x-rays on my face. “I just remember being knocked out. The next thing I knew I was on the floor surrounded by paramedics. “This happens to too many people. It could even be the same group of lads. “I think it’s a homophobic attack, I think they’ve seen a gay lad standing on their own and done this. “I feel I have been beaten up because I am gay.” Adam – who works for Thomas Cook – was left with bruising and swelling to his face following the horrific incident, which happened at around 10pm He added: “I had a head injury so they took me in (to the hospital) for 12 hours to keep an eye on my head.

“Nothing was broken but I’ve got bruising and swelling on the side of my head. “I’m very upset. I don’t want to go down there now. I’d not been out for ages. “I was on my own and it wasn’t even that late. It’s just really surprising. “I’m just shocked. It has knocked my confidence. It will definitely put me off going there again. “How can you feel safe when people like that are hurting people? “The police are investigating and have said they will look at the CCTV cameras and ask for any witnesses.” A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said officers are investigating the assault. He appealed to any witnesses to the attack or anyone with information to contact police on 101.